WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF BPH?
BPH symptoms fall into 2 categories—obstructive and irritative. Not everyone with BPH has all of these symptoms, and they don't affect everyone to the same degree. Take a look at the highlighted box below to learn what the symptoms are. If you think you have any of these symptoms, use the BPH Symptom Calculator to measure their impact on your life. You can then download the results and discuss them with your healthcare provider.
OCCUR IN THE BATHROOM
These symptoms are more common but less bothersome
- Hesitancy and straining (finding it difficult to start urinating)
- Weak stream (a trickle is all that flows out)
- Intermittency (stopping and starting while urinating)
- Incomplete emptying, or voiding (feeling your bladder is
not completely empty)
IRRITATIVE SYMPTOMS DRIVE YOU
TO THE BATHROOM
These are the symptoms that are likely to interfere
with daily activities and most often cause men to
- Frequency (having to go again less than 2 hours after finishing)
- Urgency (having to go “right now”)
- Nocturia (getting up at night to urinate)
What Happens if BPH
Is Left Untreated?
Most men with BPH do not develop severe complications. However, if left untreated BPH symptoms may worsen, and severe symptoms can lead to more serious complications, including an inability to control urination, urinary tract infections, and bladder and kidney damage. In some men, untreated BPH
can completely block the flow of urine
out of the bladder, a condition called urinary retention that sometimes
Of course everyone is different, and the effects of not treating the condition may vary from person to person. If you have BPH and are taking RAPAFLO®, you're already on the right road to managing your BPH symptoms.